NIGHTCHURCH NEWS 25 MARCH
- Thanks to those who came to the working bee on Saturday – we were not a huge number, but we made a great impact!
- And thanks to all who filled in a green form last Sunday night, or who had their photo taken for the Church Directory. We will have another effort at it this week. Thanks Samantha for helping – what a camera! And photographer of course.
NIGHTCHURCH, SUNDAY 25 March: Veronique Schocroft is leading our service, and Susan Campbell will speak about Bearing Fruit and Being Wise, Matthew 7:15-29, Joshi Philip is coordinating the music team, Zach Moore and Felicia Prior are on audio/data, James and Coby Docking are bringing supper and Andy Mitchell is the convener. Thanks everyone!
- SURRENDER: There is a conference on this weekend called SURRENDER at Belgrave heights convention centre. It is a conference predominately about mission, and in recent years has had a big focus on Indigenous Australia and all we can learn about how they worship God and what’s going on in their lives. Registrations are still open and you can go for a day, a night or the whole time. I (Veronique) am going down on Saturday and would love if anyone wanted to come and car pool etc. Let me know, 0400 129 474. Also before SURRENDER this week there is a gathering of Indigenous Christians from all over Australia getting together to encourage each other and join together (Grasstree Gathering) Before that, last week, there was a conference for young Indigenous people offering training for chaplaincy. It would be sweet if we could stand by our brothers and sisters in Christ and pray for all the great things happening within Indigenous Australia, and all the things that still need to be shifted. (Want to know more – ask Veronique Schocroft
- KEW FESTIVAL – 16-25 March. On 24th March, a parade, lots of stalls in Victoria Park, High St, Kew, activities, music, fun, etc. See http://kewfestival.org. The theme is Kew-munity! One of the final events of the Festival, to which we are all invited, is the ECUMENICAL GATHERING, 2.30pm, Sunday 25 March, Carmelite Monastery, 94 Stevenson St Kew. RSVP 9853 2402. Nicholas Tuohy will be the speaker.
- RELAY FOR LIFE, 4pm Saturday 24 March to 9am Sunday 25 March, John Gardiner Reserve, Auburn Rd, Hawthorn East. 1 in 2 Australians will be diagnosed with cancer before the age of 85 – and you will know some people affected by it. All money raised through Relay For Life makes a difference in helping fund Cancer Council’s critical research, prevention, education and support services. Help us reduce the impact cancer has on our communities. In previous years, NightChurch folk and students from the Res have been heavily involved (won awards for it!) and raised a lot of money. See www.relay.cancercouncil.com.au for more info, or talk to Ash Moore.
- CARRICAL BBQ, 4.30pm, Saturday 24 March, at Carrical Boarding House, 18 Mason St, Hawthorn. If you would like to know more or want to join the group, speak with Grace Loh.
- EASTER WORSHIP at KBC and in Kew (see the attached card):
- Palm Sunday: 10am Sunday School led service. At NightChurch, 7pm, Sharing our stories of Faith.
- Monday 2-Friday 6 April, daily Easter Prayer vigil and reflection in the church building 7-7:30am.
- Wednesday: 7.30pm, Melbourne Singers, Olivet to Calvary, by J H Maunder, with soloists and choir.
- Maundy Thursday: 7:45pm, A moving and reflective service of Communion led by Nicholas and Amanda Tuohy.
- Good Friday: 9.30am service combined with the Uniting Church, followed by the Kew Inter Church service of witness in Petrie Square at 10.45am.
- Resurrection Day: Celebration services at 10am and 7pm.
- HOSPITALITY LUNCHES – HOSTS WANTED, 29 April. This is when everyone in the church is invited out for lunch at someone’s home, and is great for getting to know some people from other congregations. If you are able to offer your home for one of the Hospitality Lunches, please speak to Deirdre Willis or Margaret Manley.
Forward notice: During term 2, we will have a Christianity Explored series. A special training day will be held on Saturday 14 April, 9.30am—3pm. If you are interested in being involved, please speak to Nicholas. More details coming soon!
WEBSITE OF THE WEEK: This week I thought I’d feature a good resource for information about Windows 8 at www.winsupersite.com/windows-8. These articles are written by Paul Thurrott who has written extensively about Microsoft products. Windows 8 is still in beta so it is not advisable to install it on your computer unless you have a full backup of the files on your PC and you are confident you can restore your current operating system, programs and data in case Windows 8 doesn’t work for you!