THIS WEEK @ NIGHTCHURCH: We continue our Revelation series with Nicholas Tuohy preaching on the letter to Sardis. Caz James is leading the service, Joshi Philip is organising the music team, Laura Baker is convening, Luke Boswell and Jadon Dutra are on audio/data, and Nic Barclay, Jono Newmarch and Crispin Newmarch are providing supper. Thanks everyone.
Our Annual Church Gathering & Lunch will be held this Sunday, straight after the morning service (11.30am). Why do we have these meetings? It’s an opportunity for us to gather as a church community for prayer, fellowship, to hear from our leaders and listen and discern together what the Holy Spirit is saying to us. This year we are honoured to have our Vietnamese congregation preparing lunch for us. Donations are welcome as they seek to raise funds for mission work in Vietnam. Please plan to be there!
ALSO THIS WEEK…
- Youth Dimension Open Night: Wednesday 21 August, 7.30pm. What are you doing next year? If you’re interested in sinking your teeth into the Bible and experiencing God in action and hands-on ministry – come along to this open night and find out more about the Youth Dimension ‘Immerse’ training course. 58-64 Hall Rd, Warrandyte South.
- Kewmunity of Women: Thursday 22 August, 7.30pm. We’re having a casual movie night, watching Pitch Perfect. Come along and bring a snack or two to share!
- Sherwin Mariano: Friday 23 August, 7.30pm. Sherwin is coming to Kew Baptist Church to tell us about his work with Vineyard of His Grace Ministry in the Philippines as well as his personal testimony. It will be a fantastic night to learn more about God’s work in the Philippines as well as what we can do to help. Held in church hall, supper provided!
PRAYER: The House is hosting prayer time at 7am on weekdays – anyone is welcome!
NightChurch Camp is coming up! The weekend will be from Friday 18 October to Sunday 20 October. We are currently searching for a place to stay. If anyone has a beach house or knows of a good camping ground please let either Paul or Laura know so we can secure a place soon. Put the date in your diary as we want to get as many people as we can to enjoy a weekend away together!
POLITICAL FORUM: Now that the federal election has been announced, it’s time to start thinking about who we would like to vote for and who we want to see running the country for the next three years. However, often all we hear in the media is a combination of posturing from political parties and tabloid journalism on a number of specific issues. To cut through the haze and help you get some real answers, Kew Baptist Church will be hosting a Political Forum on Thursday 29 August (date may be subject to change – watch this space!!) from 7.30-9pm at the church hall. The purpose of this event is to inform you about party policies, and provide a chance to weigh up the various options and issues from a Christian perspective. Representatives from the major parties will be on hand to present their case for your vote and there will be an opportunity to ask questions directly. We will also consider what it means to vote as a Christian in this election. Put the date in your diary now! If you have any questions, please speak to Nick Tuohy or Paul Pallot.
LOVE ABBOTSFORD II: Love Abbotsford is back again! Please join us on Saturday 31 August as we spread the love to the housing estates on Hoddle Street. As a church, we want to show practical love to those living on the housing estates by providing the kids there with some fun and entertainment on Saturday. We’ll run a BBQ, play basketball and soccer, have live music, and some fun stuff (balloon animals? facepainting?) to entertain the younger children. If you can help for all or part of the day, that would be great! And if you have any other fun ideas of things we could do, please let us know! Contact Paul Pallot for more information.
NOW SHOWING: ‘Now Showing’ is a 6 part series looking at the key topics of Christianity. There will be short films made by members of the congregation as well as discussion led by Laura and Mat. The evenings will run fortnightly on Mondays at 7.30pm, held in the church hall. For more details please call Laura or Mat. Coming up:
- Sept 2: Lord of the Kings – Life of Jesus
- Sept 16: Good News Hunting – Jesus’ Teachings
- Sept 30: P.S. He Loves You – Grace and Forgiveness
- Oct 14: The God, Father – Religion vs. Relationship with God
- Oct 28: New Bourne Identity – How God Changes our Lives
HOSPITALITY LUNCHES: Sunday 15 September. Once or twice a year we try to give everyone an invitation to lunch in people’s homes following the morning service. It is a great opportunity to meet new people and get to know each other better across both morning and evening congregations. Make sure you sign up to be involved! Could you offer your home and host a group? If so, please indicate how many guests you could manage. PLEASE keep the date free and plan to take part. Want to know more? Contact Deirdre Willis.
SHUT UP & LISTEN: How can we maintain a relationship with God in an age of noise? Shut Up & Listen is a series running on Thursday nights in August, providing a space for young adults to come together and discover how Christian Spirituality can deepen their relationship with God. The sessions run from 7-9pm at Ashburton Baptist Church, the cost is $10 per night. Coming up:
- August 22: Noise/Quiet (Peter Bentley)
- August 29: Consume/Create (Ann Lock & Narelle Stephens)
WEBSITE OF THE WEEK: Reasonable Faith at www.reasonablefaith.org has a lot of material that can assist Christians when speaking to sceptical people about Christianity.
That’s all for this edition of NightChurch News – Steve Pattison.