29 April 2012
NIGHTCHURCH, 29 April: We welcome Lisa Detlefsen, whom KBC has supported through Mission Aviation Fellowship, who will speak on Serving God in Arnhem Land. Matt Hill is leading, Corey Leslie is coordinating the music team, Andy Mitchell will pray during the service, Laura Holley is the convener, Phil Prior and Amy Williams are on audio/data, and Reuben Langerak, Jadon Dutra, Jake Postlethwaite will bring supper.
PRAYER: Many of us remember Frances Schuringa, who worshipped here for a time, lived in The House in 2008, and then returned to Tasmania. On Tuesday, Frances travels to Thailand where she will work for five months in the Nan province with Global Interaction, our Baptist mission. Please pray for her! In response to an email she wrote, “It’s so encouraging to know that my church family in Kew is still thinking of and praying for me! I will send you some updates hopefully”.
HOUSEWARMING, 7.30 onwards, May 4, Balwyn North – where Katie, Naomi, Katie, Mikhaela and Erin now live.
- STUDENT RESIDENCE FAMILIES WEEKENDis 5-6 May. There will be Church-Res-Families footy and netball matches on Sunday afternoon, 6 May.
- If you want to be in the Church football team, see Corey Leslie.
- If you want to be in the Church Netball team, see Laura Holley
- What’s next with CHRISTIANITY EXPLORED? ww.christianityexplored.org. 8 May-19 June.
- Invite people to come along, and join them – be in prayer about the people you believe God wants you to invite.
- Pray about the whole series and its impact on individuals and the church.
- If you want to be on the team – help with welcoming, catering, setting up, packing up – let Nicholas Tuohy know.
- Make a donation so that we can provide free meals and resources for participants.
- If you don’t yet have the dates down – Tuesday evenings, 7-9pm, in the hall, May 8 to June 19, starting with a meal, then discussion, DVD, etc. And, on June 16, a day session, 9.30-3.30.
- MOVED – From early May, we will follow a sermon/small group series for four weeks. It highlights the centrality of mission to our faith, develops awareness of current global mission issues and encourages a personal and community response. Fill in your name to be part of a small group for the series. (If you want to host or lead a group, Speak with Sarah Trebilcock).
- THE GATHERING OF THE CHURCH. NC comprises half of our Church community, and is a vital part of it. We need to be more involved in the discussion, prayer and decision-making of the church. So,
- We plan to have our May Church Gathering at 4.30-6pm, 20 May, followed by a meal together (6.00-7.00) before NightChurch begins. We will learn more about, and pray about, tentative plans for the appointment of staff, adjusting our property to enhance our ministry potential, and more.
- If you would like to help Grace Leslie organise a simple meal for this, maybe a sausage sizzle, please let us know. Volunteers welcome! Further info to come.
- CAMP FOR MEN, The Muster: Luke Gibbons writes, “Just want to let you know about a camp coming up for Men aged over 18 in the King Valley looking at issues around sexuality. There will also be some sweet manly activities on Saturday afternoon too – so check out the facebook page and book it in your calendar. Hope to see you there!” May 26- 27, King River Camp, Cheshunt. A few NC men are in already!
- STATE YOUTH GAMES, June 8-11. If you would like to be involved, speak with Ash Moore.
- NICH AND AMANDA are back this week.
EMPLOYMENT: Tim Jones, who is associated with our morning congregation and is the Treasurer of the Student Residence Committee has some jobs available which may suit students, in a company related to Myki. Hours: Weekends – Sat and Sun 07.30-3.30. Full-time casual during the week – not sure at this stage, but could be any of the following: 2pm to 10pm (most likely), 6am to 2pm, possible 9:30am to 5:30pm (least likely). Work: “Basically wandering around the city or suburbs opening our equipment and resetting them. Suburban person (all on east side of town) would need own car on the weekends. Needs to be easy-going and self managing.” Speak to Tim.
- AJ and Mel Winter are looking for a room to rent / board from July 1 to early February 2013. They need to move out of their current rental place, and plan to move back to Naracoorte, SA, early next year.
- Quynh Anh, one of the members of the Vietnamese congregation baptised at Easter is looking for a place to stay until the end of the year, as her host (diagnosed with cancer) can no longer help her. If you can help, contact the pastor
WEBSITE OF THE WEEK: This week I thought I’d feature a short article I found in Wikipedia about the Christianity Explored course that is about to begin at KBC. the article can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_Explored.
ITEMS FOR NIGHTCHURCH NEWS: That’s all for this edition of NightChurch News – Steve Pattison