EASTER WEEK AT KBC
Wednesday 1 April, 7:30pm (church)
Melbourne Singers perform Olivet To Calvary
Thursday 2 April, 7:45pm (hall)
Maundy Thursday Service
Friday 3 April
10am Good Friday Service at Melbourne Chinese Baptist Church
11am Kew Churches Vigil (Petrie Square)
Sun 5 April, 10am & 5:30pm (church)
Easter Sunday Services
THIS WEEK @ NIGHTCHURCH: Nicholas Tuohy is delivering our Easter Sunday message: ‘Don’t Fear Death’. Rachel Bakker is leading the service, Tim Mitchell and James Crawford are on audio/data, Amy Hunter will lead in prayer, Crispin Newmarch will be providing supper, and Bree Monahan is convening. Thanks everyone.
CHURCH. WHAT’S THE POINT?: Over the last several weeks we have been exploring Jesus’ heart and vision for the church he created. A few things we considered were:
- Jesus’ mission was to proclaim the Kingdom of God by preaching and teaching and doing good deeds. The point of the church is Jesus’ mission.
- Jesus’ message was: “The Kingdom of Heaven is near – repent and believe the good news!” The gospel, or good news: Jesus died for our sins, and Jesus rose from the dead. He did this out of love.
- God’s means of transforming people is through the gift of Grace that Jesus offers.
- God intends the followers of Jesus to share life together in a community based on love, grace and truth: the church. And this church will continue Jesus’ mission on earth.
Some steps you are invited to prayerfully consider following the Church. What’s the Point? series:
- We want EVERYONE in a Small Group. Jesus’ vision for His church was a New Community of followers who received God’s love and grace, and share that love in community. Talk to Paul Pallot about joining one of a number of groups, or even leading a new one.
- Maybe you are new to the faith, or just checking it out, or you have come back after a “break”. In Term 2, Nicholas & Amanda Tuohy will run an Alpha Course or Christianity Explored at their house in Kew. Come over for dinner in a relaxed and friendly environment for 6-8 weeks to explore the Christian faith and any questions you may have. Sign up through Lauren Morgan at the church office. Starts on Wed 22 April, 6:30-9pm.
- Perhaps you have come to a place of faith and conviction about the claims of Jesus on your life, and want to take the next step of public faith to identify your life with Jesus: Speak to one of our pastors, Nicholas or Paul, and engage with a 3-4 week Exploring Baptism short course.
- You have been around KBC for a while and sense it’s time to step up your commitment to this local community of faith: Membership. Every Christian is a member of Christ’s body, but membership at the local church level simply says: this is my faith family, this is where God has called me to grow in Christ and serve him. You are also able to participate and vote on major decisions in the life of the church, and you place yourself under the leadership and pastoral care of the church.
LOVE ABBOTSFORD: Sunday 19 April, 12:30-4:30pm at the Housing Estates at 229 Hoddle St. Everyone is welcome! Sports, BBQ, music, face painting… anything else you want to include. It will be a chance to continue to build relationships with the people there. Please contact Mary-Anne Philip for more information.
EQUIP – DISCIPLESHIP, MENTORING & LEADERSHIP: Thursday 16 April, 7:30pm in the church hall. This is the first in a series of leadership training nights, with the aim of encouraging and equipping people in the church to be better leaders and followers of Christ by being mentored and taught by mature and wise Christian leaders. Some of the areas to be explored are: Christ-likeness in life and leadership; refining both internal character and external actions; leading teams and running effective meetings; how to recruit and motivate volunteers. Guest speaker: Peter Corney (www.petercorney.com). RSVP by Mon 13 April. www.facebook.com/events/1567159000206736
HOSPITALITY SUNDAY: Sign up to join in/host a meal with others from Kew Baptist on Sunday 26 April. For more information, please contact Deirdre Willis.
PRAYER BREAKFASTS: We run a weekly Prayer Breakfast on Tuesday mornings, 7-8am in The Lounge (upstairs in the hall). Put it in your schedule and start the day with worship, prayer, food and friends at KBC. Remember you can also join our 5pm prayer gathering before the service in the church building.
RESOURCE LIBRARY: We are building up a rich collection of resources, with approximately 100 books and 30 DVDs currently available to borrow from the church. There are materials for small groups as well as for individual study, with a range of study guides, commentaries, apologetics, and other resources available. You can view the catalogue on our website: http://tinyurl.com/pxsbcdt. Or simply drop in and have a browse! We have a collection in the Ministry Centre (16 Highbury Grv), as well as some other resources in the church building. Some are for borrowing, others are free to take home!
TITHING: A reminder that you can give your weekly offering via direct debit to the church account.
END OF DAYLIGHT SAVING: Just a reminder that daylight saving ends this weekend. Clocks should be put back an hour before going to bed on Saturday night to avoid any confusion on Sunday morning!
That’s all for this edition of NightChurch News – Steve Pattison.