It was such a wonderful weekend of celebration and fellowship on our 160th celebration weekend. A lot of work and planning went into the weekend where around 340 gathered over 3 events, but it was worth it for several reasons. Firstly, as God’s people it is important to set aside time to commemorate and celebrate his faithfulness to us. Secondly, we are part of a remarkable church with a wonderful heritage. And finally, we affirm the validity and constancy of our call to continue to follow Christ and serve his mission into the future. All in all it was a wonderful weekend and a real blessing for us as a church. Thank you to all who made the time to gather and those who helped in various ways. Great is your faithfulness, O God! All glory be to Jesus!
As we look ahead to the rest of the year, there are a number of things coming up. At 10am we will spend 3 weeks learning from the book of Nehemiah on facing reality and responding with faith. Nehemiah and the people of his day had to respond to enormous challenges and opposition but were faithful to God’s call for them at that time. Also over the next 3 weeks:
- Today (13 Nov) we will be participating in the National Church Life Survey which is conducted every 5 years, and I strongly urge everyone present to complete the survey which takes about 15-20 minutes. “The 2016 National Church Life Survey is about the LIFE of the Australian Church: the lives and hopes of people who attend churches all around the country. It is about the lives of leaders and how they can be effective and sustainable. It is about the life and times of Australians, how they approach matters of faith and how churches and communities can better connect.”
- Sun 20 Nov is our End of Year Student Res Service (5:30pm) and we encourage everyone to come and support the students and the Res.
- Sun 27 Nov is our Annual General Meeting after the 10am service and also a time for the church to discern the next steps in our property masterplan. We still welcome feedback on the information that was shared a couple of months ago; thank you to the people who have taken the time to think, pray and respond.
- Sun 4 Dec is our Kew Community Carols, a great local event that has grown in recent years. I need help with a number of things so please let me know if you are able to get involved.
- Sun 18 Dec will be our last All Ages Service for the year as we worship together with our young ones.
- Christmas Day at 9:30am will be held in our church building but will be hosted by our friends from Melbourne Chinese Baptist Church.
So lots happening, but let’s finish the year well and prayerfully decide to make Christmas all about Jesus and all about love.
Yours in Christ,